Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Good Bye Egypt

So, here is the thing about getting back to the airport..... the return transfers ARE NOT INCLUDED. They do however provide a few vans for you. The problem is if you don't have a flight that is close in time to when the vans run, you either have to wait at the airport or take a cab on your own expense.

I chose to take the van at 12"30am even though my flight was not until 6:00am. The next van wasn't leaving until the afternoon. There were a few people whose flights left at 2and3 in the morning, so that van worked out for them. I think they really try to accommodate everyone, but some people just get unlucky (me ), and they cant run a van for just one or two people. Sherif told me that there was a nice mall there and I could check my luggage and go to the mall. He was wrong....first of all, the mall does not open until 10:00 or somewhere close to that. And, secondly, the airlines ticket counters do not open until 2 hours before the flight and you are not even allowed past security until then. There is one restaurant outside of security and if you buy at least something to drink, they will let you sit in there for however long you like. I bought a soda, and waited. It felt like forever. I don't know if it would have been a better idea to just take a taxi on my own or if I made the right decision. One note, even if you are going at an hour where the mall is open (it is right across the street from the airport ) there is no where to leave your luggage while you are there. So, unless you are only carrying a little bit and don't mind dragging it through the mall, you're kinda S.O.L.

Check in, customs and security took only a few minutes and I had a ton of time before my flight. I had a ton of extra pounds and wanted to spend them, even if it was on tacky souvenirs. I over paid for a few scarves and key chains and things like that. It was a little irritating to know I could have bought these things at the market for alot less, but I just wanted to get rid of my Egyptian money. There is a nice duty free upstairs, but otherwise, not much. Also, there is no restaurant or snack shop to get something to eat on the plane, not even anywhere to buy a bottle of water.

I flew home on Air France connecting through Paris. The flight on the way to Paris, there was no one next to me so, I slept through the whole flight. I heard them serving breakfast, but didn't wake up for it, so I have no idea what it was. Connecting through Paris was fairly easy. The flight from Paris to New York was full and very uncomfortable. I was starting to feel sick and was not a happy camper on that flight. The last few days alot of our tour had the contiki cough and I think I was starting to get it.

I have so many fond memories of this trip. I debated for a long time before I finally booked it and went, and I am so glad I did. If you are even thinking of doing this trip....don't.....just book it, you will not regret it.

3 comments:

Shell1337 said...

i have a really important question. im leaving for egypt for the aug. 10 thru the 19th tour and on the nineteeth i leave at 4am will they have a transfer running that early.?????? i want to book my airfare but if they dont have a transfer that early i dont really know what to do can u please email me directly at shell1337@aol.com this would mean soooo much to me. thanks

hamjamjr said...

I'm thinking about doing this tour in jan next year, just wondering when you booked your flights? did you wait till they sent you our itinery 45 days before the tour starts or did you do if before and took a stab at the time to leave?

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your blogs. I read the entire trip, thank you so much for posting this. I took lots of notes and it really helped me in planning for my trip. I am going in a week and a half, I can't wait!